An overview of the charity sector:
Often known as the third sector the charity sector consists of all not-for-profit divisions and is generally associated with charities. There is a lot more to this sector than just fundraising and campaigning!
Our Career Map profile for the public sector includes:
- Types of organisation
- Types of career opportunities
- Three things to keep in mind when applying
What types of organisations operate in the charity sector?
Any organisation operating not for profit falls into this sector. That includes:
- and voluntary organisations.
What sorts of job opportunities are there in the charity sector?
The structure of charity sector organisations is not dissimilar from those within private and public sectors.
There are still positions available across varied business functions such as:
- and much more.
Is the charity sector particularly competitive?
All sectors are competitive in the right market but a lot of people seek roles within the charity sector as they wish to work for a positive organisation.
The charity sector often runs on a lean business structure, which can make new roles and vacancies few and far between. This sector also has a reputation for longevity within its staff base.
Day-to-day operations of this sector can also be competitive due to limited funding as well.
What benefits are there to working in the charity sector?
A lot of individuals who work in this sector do so because they are looking to work within an organisation whose ideals and outcomes are for the better good at the end of the day.
This sector is also known for strong longevity and positive corporate culture.
What three things should applicants keep in mind when applying for a job in the charity sector?
- A passion for the industry and the organisational outcome is essential for the success in any recruitment process within this space.
- Be prepared for a detailed recruitment process including personal checks and assessments.
- Have an insight into budgetary restrictions, compliance and also a target driven environment.